Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jocelyn Gooch" <jocelyngooch@h...>
"Jocelyn Gooch" <jocelyngooch@h...>
Date:  Tue Nov 28, 2000  5:46 am
Subject:  Re: censorship

Please - NO CENSORSHIP! When my husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor
three years ago I e-mailed "vocalist" - people I had counted as friends -
for emotional/spiritual/intellectual support. As I recall, I only did one
medium post and a couple of short ones. One or two of my short posts were
deemed by the moderator to be inappropriate, even though this life change
drastically changed my ability to sing and concentrate on my duties as a
voice major. If someone needs help because they have stage fright, we should
be there for them. If someone has a medical problem that hurts their voice,
we are there for them. If someone has a major life change that hurts their
singing, shouldn't we be there? Can any moderator really remain "moderate?"
Someone said something about absolute power and it's ability to corrupt
absolutely, or something close to that. That same frenzy to "send" might
also affect a moderator's sense of duty to "delete." Our group's
sensibilities and sensitivities should suffice. I think we should remind
people who may be getting off track to do a self-assessment. Whaddaya think?

Jocelyn Gooch
beautifully generic soprano? drammezzotura?
_____