Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
"Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Mon Nov 27, 2000  11:35 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Re: In the minority

I wish we'd stop throwing around the "C" word. First of all, we were
moderated under Marko's administration and had a more vibrant list with more
participation. I don't recall anyone being deprived of getting at least ONE
(and usually more) ugly dig towards any given person. The kind of moderation
I believe we're talking about is not censorship - it's "asking nicely in an
official manner". Nobody is talking about arbitrarily deleting posts based
on Isabelle's ideas of right and wrong or delaying posts by reviewing each
one - at least I don't think that's the idea. Personally, I liked Caio's
happy medium idea about letting posts go through but sending a warning when
someone goes over the line, while giving the offended party one opportunity
to respond (or something like that - sorry Caio if I'm misrepresenting what
you suggested). And, BTW, I think we all know full well where that line is.
We're not stupid, and regardless of the country in which we hang our hat and
the language spoken there, a blatant personal attack is just that - blatant.
That's what the majority of us are tired of. Not thin-skinned, not having
issues with self-esteem, but simply having lives in which we no longer want
to make room for negativity that isn't at least educating us in some way.

And as far as Ian's "If you can't stand the heat..." comparison goes, let me
counter with:

"If you can't stand the heat, get the turkey out of the oven". Not that I'm
calling anyone in particular a turkey. I myself am a vegetarian and have the
utmost regard for turkeys.

Being from America I know ALL about democracy! <=(blatant joke) If we really
want to see what the majority of the list would prefer, do a poll with
addresses. Then nobody can vote twice and unlike Bush and Gore, we would
agree to follow the will of the people or, uh, get out of the kitchen.
Include some options, like:

1. 1984 - full censorship at Isabelle's discretion, forcing her to quit her
job to moderate the list full-time.
2. Caio's suggestion, about giving a warning and one chance to respond
before actually deleting anything. Seems civilized to me.
3. Leave things as they are and when we get bored with someone's clumsy or
tiresome attempts to postulate about vocal technique in the mistaken belief
that this is an open forum where we can try out new ideas in a community of
like-minded people, say whatever lousy, personal things we want, but follow
up with an "oops! that was supposed to be private!" post, making it clear,
however, that we not actually apologizing - simply stating a fact. (Oops!
Option 3 was supposed to be private! Mea culpa!).

And Dean, regardless of which way it goes, if you leave will you please tell
me where else you might be posting? Because, I will follow you (follow you)
follow you wherever you may go (oh-oh)! You are a veritable fountain of
wonderful ideas.

Best to all,

Laura Sharp