Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Nov 27, 2000  8:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: ADMIN: list moderation?

Dear Listers,

First may I state that I am totally opposed to censorship.

Next, I apologise to all the sensitive people who had to be suffer the
vitriol engendered by my attempts to confront what was in reality a
clear musical issue, regardless of how unacceptable the recipient may
have found it.
At the risk of fanning the flames I find it rather tiresome
that the person involved should represent it as a 'disagreement' of the
type to be expected on an uncensored list. It was an unrestrained
attack intended to create maximum damage and can be identified
as the internet equivalent of ' road rage'. I make no apology for
defending myself in a moderate and controlled fashion nor do I
withdraw any of my assertions.

My final most moderate response was blocked so I
guess censorship already exists. I think there are two major
problems with censorship.

The first is the uneasiness created in subscribers
about tip-toeing around content and finally discarding
their ideas rather than taking the risk of being forthright. That, is
counterproductive and will ultimately destroy the value of the list.

The second, is that censorship always involves value
judgements. If you apply US judgements to an International List
there are bound to be serious anomalies and restrictions are in
themselves an anomaly on a list that purports to welcome a free
and open interchange. We are not perfect and knowing when
to turn the other cheek can sometimes be difficult.

Regards Reg. : )

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6884 Re: ADMIN: list moderation? Karen   Mon  11/27/2000   2 KB

emusic.com