Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra Campany" <sandra@i...>
"Sandra Campany" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Mon Nov 27, 2000  4:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] RE: ADMIN: list moderation?

> > I'm also strongly against any form of list
> > censorship.
>
> Well, since you're solidly in the minority and it
> looks like moderation is the overwhelming desire of
> the list --

I also am strongly against censoring incoming emails. I feel about the
emails that have stirred the recent controversy the same way I feel about
getting emails that are completely off topic. Personally I think they are
inappropriate and annoying. In a way, I find way-off-topic issues even more
annoying. At least the recent controversial messages stemmed from a
discussion about vocal issues in which I learned something about a topic
vocally related, which is why I joined the list. Yet despite my personal
feelings, I have never advocated censoring any mail, including way off topic
issues. Because the people who send these emails have taught me so much, I
accept these emails which I personally would rather not have received. I
have learned how to scan and delete judiciously.

Please don't misunderstand, I AM NOT CONDONING NAME CALLING OR INSULTING
FELLOW VOCALISTS. I instead am making a strong personal appeal to those who
are inclined to get personal in a rude way to please refrain from doing so
and cool down before responding on a public list. Having been on the list
for a couple of years, I have seen several personal attacks. Some have come
from persons from whom I have learned much. Even though I am occasionally
shocked and offended by what I view as a poster's rudeness, I'm not yet
ready for censorship.

Sandra

emusic.com