Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Sun Nov 26, 2000  11:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The Aging Voice

Dear Laura and List,

Have you come across Jo Estill's teaching? Among other things, she uses
something which she calls anchoring, particularly head and neck
anchoring. Put very briefly, and probably simplifying way too much, this
makes use of the big neck muscles, such as sternocleidomastoid, to help
the smaller laryngeal muscles, which, in the case of the singers you
mention, are no longer strong enough to keep the voice steady.

I went on a course run by Estill in 1996, when she was, I think, 75
years old. While she said she had lost her very top notes, due to
laryngeal ossification, she sang a soprano top G without a hint of a
wobble. Her neck muscles were working very hard to do this, and I really
think it's the sort of thing that needs to be learned from a real live
teacher rather than over the internet, but she repeatedly maintained
that, although you have to work harder and smarter as you get older,
there need be minimal voice deterioration (apart from the aforementioned
ossification).

If there are any Estill teachers out there, sorry for probably
oversimplifying! There may well be other vocal teaching methods which
use the same sort of techniques.

Regards, Sheila

Sheila Graham
Mezzo-soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland
www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

In message <000001c057fa$345155c0$732b1d18@d...>, Laura Sharp
In message <000001c057fa$345155c0$732b1d18@d...>, Laura Sharp
<lasharp@n...> writes
<lasharp@n...> writes