Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Nov 25, 2000  4:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] young voices singing dramatic music

I am of the belief that anyone can sing anything they want, with the
precaution that they sing it with their own voice--without pushing.

And I agree that everyone should sing some music that "stretches" them in
some way.

That said, there are definite reasons not to spend a lot of time on
repertoire that is not appropriate for your voice at the moment.

Each time you sing, you are developing habits. These habits will tend to stay
with you for a long, long time. Even if your technique has advanced and your
instrument has grown a great deal, you will discover that old habits creep
into your singing. They are very hard to break, and you will often find that
a singer who has spent a lot of time on the arias at an early age will sound
one way in the rest of the opera (learned with a more mature instrument and
more secure technique) than they do in the arias.

Judy

emusic.com