Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Nov 24, 2000  10:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vibrato Questions to Caio from Ian

Hi Caio,

No, I have a big fat sound up top with lots of ringing
overtones, think Tom Jones rather than Bruce Dickinson
though!!!

The reason your teacher can't attempt that heady tone
is probably precisely what I said about pulling your
abs in. Next time you sing, lightly put your hands
around your larnyx and you will feel how tight and
immovable it all becomes. If you're able to release
your abs, you will find your 'support' (horrid word)
is much more effective, because your body is doing
just what it needs to. No more, no less. It's that old
baby crying thing again. Noone tells a baby about
support and yet they can howl for hours!!!!

And yes, less breath as you go up, not more. Again the
more you squeeze those abs, the more breath you'll
shove through the cords, the less occluded they'll be.
Consequence, either a split tone, or breathy as
Hell!!!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the Stars!!!!!