Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>
Date:  Fri Nov 24, 2000  9:25 am
Subject:  re: why 30?/ageism (again...)

There has been some wonderful advice on this thread from Naomi, Patricia and
others on creating opportunities for oneself. I would like to briefly get
back to the original topic raised, namely, age limits, not just in singing
competitions, but also in schools, artist development programs, etc., with
some ranting, rhetorical questions. Why does our society continue to
tolerate and even embrace discrimination against people because of their
age? Why is there not the same revulsion towards ageism that there is with
discrimination based on race, gender, sexual preference, disabilities, etc.?
Why can we all not have some semblance of "a level playing field", regardless
of who we are? Why can we not have competitions specifically targeted
towards those who need them, based on age or whatever, as well as truly
"open" competitions for anyone? Why can we not all have the right and full
access to opportunities to truly self-actualize at any age, whether in the
form of self opportunites or opportunities with an organization?

What will it take to challenge this mindset - lawsuits...?

"We tend to accept the reality that is presented to us..." - The Truman Show

There is only healing to be done...

Blessings.

Michael, 47, "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore..."

Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>
http://www.angelfire.com/me/interdependence/

emusic.com