Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Fri Nov 24, 2000  12:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vibrato Questions to Caio

Hi Caio and all.

Re. your questions, I can't comment on your teachers'
voice as I've not heard him. I was being a little
naughty here, and should have said, generally sing
like pigs!!!

And no, I don't 'do' anything. I let my body do what
it must do: I open my mouth and sing. A glorious
stream of tone appears (Ian says rather immodestly,
but truthfully!!)

It's a very hard concept to believe in: I appreciate
that. To be able to leave your instrument alone and
concentrate on singing the music required does
obviously take great skill. I spend most of my
teaching undoing all the useless concepts and
'methods' put in by other teachers. 'Methods' that are
often very dangerous and injurous to the vocal
mechanism. The pulling the abs thing in being one of
them. Believe me Caio, it's bad news!!

I sing anything I want to (I appreciate I am blessed
with an unusual versatile instrument which was given
to me naturally) opera, musical shows, pop and rock
are all in my repertoire. I have been a professional
singer for 30 years, and I have never missed a note,
cracked a note or anything of that nature, because my
voice is free!

The only time I allowed a singing teacher to change
the way I had always sung, and that was the wide ribs,
pulled in abs, ribs getting wider to the end of the
phrase school, my voice packed in altogether and my
right vocal cord was damaged. That's why I'm anti
this kind of 'support' that old William Shakespeare
treatise on singing, which should at all costs be
burnt on the pyre!!!

Hope that's more informational Caio?

Best wishes,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!

6744 Re: Vibrato Questions to Caio Caio Rossi   Fri  11/24/2000   3 KB

emusic.com