Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Wed Nov 22, 2000  8:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Surgery for Sinusitis

Dr. Messmer and other informed vocalisters,

I had a student who asked me Monday to look at her throat.  I looked and was amazed at the size of her right tonsil.  I believe it was her tonsil...it was so large it was pushing her uvula over to the other side of her throat.  I asked her how long it had been like that, and she said it had been that way for about 2 years.  I have not noticed problems in her voice, other than having cold-like symptoms in several of her lessons this year.  This is the first year I have taught this student, and I am starting to think I should look down all my students' throats.  I told her to go to a doctor immediately, and I told her I would call her house and make sure she did.  Is this a normal problem, and what sort of treatments can a singer look for?  Thanks for your help here...

David Grogan
East Texas Baptist University
Marshall, Texas