Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 22, 2000  3:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Surgery for Sinusitis

In a message dated 11/22/00 9:20:45 AM Central Standard Time,
salemgirl@netzero.com writes:

Hey list!

There is a possibility that I will have to have surgery on my sinuses in
the near future and I was wondering how many of you have had experience
with that.  From what I understand, it can radically change the resonance
you are able to achieve.  I was wondering if this is permanent, or if it
can be "relearned" over time.  Any input you have about alternatives,
results, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  I'm 22 and have what many
people have described as a "budding dramatic" voice and I'm concerned that
what I'd have left would be flat and lifeless!  Help!  (And just when I was
getting that cool wine glass shattering thing down pat.  Dangit!)  I'd
especially love to hear what Dr. Messmer has to say.

Thanks,

Shana Cox

It may change the way you perceive your voice a bit, but it won't change what
the audience hears.  Sympathetic vibrations in the sinus cavities don't
reflect back down and contribute to what others hear.  However, if you come
up with compensatory methods to redirect the sound into the postop places,
then your sound might change.

Randy Buescher
emusic.com