Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
"Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Sun Nov 19, 2000  11:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Teaching rolled Rs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sheila Graham" <sheila@s...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com>
Sent: 18 November 2000 14:17

> Caio,
>
> When you talk about the 'English aspirated H... like in Loch Ness', you
> really mean the SCOTTISH 'aspirated H'. English people find that sound
> very difficult, and very few of them can say it. Loch Ness is not in
> England, it is in Scotland; as far as I know, there are no lochs in
> England, loch is a Scottish word with a similar meaning to the English
> word 'lake'.
>
> I do realise that this is difficult for foreigners to understand, but
> England and Scotland are separate countries. England, Scotland, Wales
> and Northern Ireland together make up the political entity known as the
> United Kingdom, or UK for short. Frequently, the terms Britain, or Great
> Britain (not because it was great, but to distinguish it from Brittany
> in France), or British are used to mean the same thing, but strictly
> speaking that is not accurate because it does not include Northern
> Ireland.
>
> Outside the UK, England is usually used to mean the whole of the United
> Kingdom, and that really annoys us Scots! :-)
>
> Rant over.
>
> Regards, Sheila
>
> Mezzo-soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland
> www.sheila@s...

This is very true. England is definitely a separate country from Scotland.
What is also annoying is that the assumption is made that the only people
who want full independence are the Scots and the Welsh. Many of us in
England feel that our identity as a separate nation is lost when we are
lumped together in the UK. This may not be of great importance to many of
you, but I thought it would be a change to have a bit of domestic political
thought from this side of the pond as a change from the farcical
presidential recount in the states :-)

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK (NO. I mean ENGLAND)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6640 OFF: Scots/English (was Teaching rolled Rs) Sheila Graham   Mon  11/20/2000   3 KB

emusic.com