Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Nov 18, 2000  11:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Teaching rolled Rs

Doris asked:

> Caio, isn't the gutteral *r* of Bahia and other areas of Brazil virtually
the
> same as the French?

Yes. We all have that, but people from Rio more than normal people :-) When
Napoleon invaded Portugal, the court fled to Rio de Janeiro, which became
the capital not only of the colony, but also of the Portuguese empire ( a
curious historical happening ). As most European nobles, they considered
speaking their national language something sophisticated. They preferred to
speak French ( as well as the English nobles, as I read. The French nobles,
on the other hand, would speak German- maybe not for their whole history,
but for a certain period ). All those nobles and their servants speaking
French in the city influenced the common people there, who started to
imitate their accent to sound more 'noble'.

Anyway, we all have it when it begins a word or when there is a double R in
the word.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com