Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Sat Nov 18, 2000  8:40 pm
Subject:  Opera videos MTV style (was New Classical Music Videos Page)

> We've set up a new Classical Music Videos on the Web
> page that
> includes links to downloadable and streaming videos
> available on the
> internet from commercial and individual websites. It
> can be found at
> http://www.scena.org/videos.html

I clicked on this site, and the first video I saw was
Renee Fleming doing Un bel di. I was expecting to see
a typical opera video - either a recital-like
rendition, or a staged opera version. Was I ever
shocked to see an MTV style music video. If I didn't
already know what the aria was about, I sure wouldn't
have been able to figure it out from this! It was
visually appealing, however, in it's own special way.

Is this a new trend in the popularization of opera?
Did some clever promo people decide they could sell
opera to the general public the same way rock music is
sold? Does anyone have any opinions on whether this is
a good thing or not?

I admit I haven't quite made up my mind yet. If
they're going to pick someone to sell opera through
music videos, Renee Fleming is a good choice, but
could you see many opera singers succeeding in this
way?

Jennifer

6621 Re: Opera videos MTV style (was New Classical Mus sopran@a...   Sat  11/18/2000   2 KB
6623 Re: Opera videos MTV style (was New Classical Mus PJ. Garner   Sat  11/18/2000   8 KB

emusic.com