Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Nov 18, 2000  2:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Teaching rolled Rs

In a message dated 11/18/00 3:44:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
linda@f... writes:
linda@f... writes:

<< ... a purr in
the back of the throat, like a cat. I could control it very well, and
produce it at any pitch or intensity - but it still wasn't a proper
rolled r with the tongue. >>

I think you were making a European Portuguese sound, Linda. When my neighbor
saw me loaded down with bags from the store, it took me a while to realize
what she was saying I was when she told me I was encarrrrrrrrrrrrregada. But
then I've heard a Bahian (Brazil) radio announcer do both the gargle and the
roll within the same double "rr" in the name of a district in Salvador,
"Barra."

emusic.com