Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Sat Nov 18, 2000  3:35 am
Subject:  Re: Rhyme nor Reason

> around the word.
> >(a recent experience with Malotte's Lord's Prayer
> >comes to mind - a - meeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnn. Took me
> >forever to figure out how to sustain that vowel!
>
> You mean as an "eh " vowel I presume? (air)

When I speak the word, the "eh" is really far back in
my throat, sort of like a cross between an eh and a
schwa. This is why it was so hard for me to learn how
to sing it - can't have vowels stuck in the back of
your throat if you want anyone to hear or recognize
them! The way I got around it was thinking of an "ih"
(open, like in 'win') sound, while singing an eh. What
this taught me was how much the way we speak affects
how we sing. Where I come from, vowels are quite often
swallowed, which is horrible for singing. I think
that's why it's so much easier for me to sing in other
languages.

> Of course if
> anyone was to set 'thorough' in music you'd be stuck
> with the 'ah' and 'oh' vowels in your form or 'ah'
> and 'ah' in mine
> depending on whether it was Australian or American
> or Canadian.

Actually, the way I pronounce thorough, the first
vowel sound gets swallowed into that lovely 'r' sound
we North Americans make (errrrr). 'Ah' isn't even
close! However, if I was singing it, this wouldn't be
acceptable so I would probably use something like an
'ah'. See, this is why English diction is so hard for
me. If I sang the way I spoke, it would sound
terrible!

> Where does your Australian friend come from? I'm
> originally from Queensland and my NSW friends regard
> my speech form as somewhat affected because they
> like
> to think of Queenslanders as Australia's deep North.

I think she's from around Brisbane.

> There is quite a difference state to state, every
> bit as much as from the US to Canada.

There are quite a few different accents within Canada
and within the States as well. For example, someone
from Texas speaks differently from someone from New
York, and someone from Newfoundland speaks differently
from someone from British Columbia.

> The only time I've
> failed in recognising a Canadian accent from an
> American one the Canadian girl had spent
> considerable time in the US.

That's hilarious, because sometimes I can't recognize
the difference. I think it must be all the American tv
I watch :o). Since we started this discussion, I've
been paying more attention to shows where I know there
are both American and Canadian actors, and I haven't
found many differences. Perhaps there's some standard
accent everyone who's not trying to play a particular
kind of American (e.g. a New Yorker, or a southerner)
adopts?

Jennifer