Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Fri Nov 17, 2000  7:01 pm
Subject:  re: why 30?

K wrote:

>Not to sound too jealous and resentful;) but that is just sad! I
>guess that is the problem when you do something that is totally
>dependent on other people's whims. . in a sense, opera singers are
>other people's luxury items. . . hmmmm. . .

Yes, that's the thing. If you play the game, you have to play by the
rules, some of which feel awfully arbitrary (at least to the people who are
placed at a disadvantage by those rules!).

But as you know there's another way. Several other ways, in fact. A
freelance music career can be hammered out if you have the talent and drive
and *patience*. You are so much further ahead than you think you are, K.
You already know what you're about as an artist. Figure out what you want
to improve at next and find a way to do it.

You want performance opportunities? Get together with a group of friends
and put on a show. It can be done for less money than you might think.
Hook up with students and other near-professionals like yourself, choose a
score with not too many characters and no chorus, pool your money to hire a
pianist and DO IT. Or put on a recital. There is no growth experience
like it!

You want better language skills? Take adult-education classes at your
local university.

You want better acting chops? Take an acting class.

You want contacts? Call up a well-respected voice professor or coach and
ask to sing for him/her at your mutual convenience. Pay the going hourly
rate. Ask for feedback. Ask what kinds of gigs you should and could be
pursuing. Ask for referrals and follow up on them. Take acquaintances in
the music business to tea and ask to pick their brains. Make friends with
composers and ask them to write for you.

I don't have an axe to grind -- whether you go to school or not will be
your decision, and I'm sure you'll make the best of it either which way. I
certainly understand that school can look from the outside like a better
discipline situation -- teachers breathing down your neck every week, etc.
If that's what you need at this point in your life, it's great that you
know that about yourself. But if in the end you decide not to go to
school, I hope you'll consider how much you already have going for you and
build on that!

Very best wishes,
Naomi Gurt Lind

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size