Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Leslie Jones" <LJones@s...>
"Leslie Jones" <LJones@s...>
Date:  Wed Nov 15, 2000  9:02 pm
Subject:  Re: Ewa Podles

I'm just now re-joining the list after several months away
(still too busy, but it's easing up just a little) and was catching
up on some old posts when I came across this thread. I was a little
surprised at the original poster's reaction to Ms. Podles, since
reaction I've had or heard from others on recordings has been very
positive. However, I've not heard her live, either. A few
thoughts: 1) Perhaps she was having a bad night (we all do, from
time to time). 2) Many people aren't used to the contralto sound,
which is naturally a dark sound (although hopefully still with the
chiaroscuro every voice needs). 3) Perhaps the recording engineers
have been able to "tweak" the sound so that it came across as healthy
and vibrant.

I'm glad to be back and look forward to upcoming discussions!

Leslie

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; Contralto
Southeast Missouri State Univ.
LJones@s...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6670 some things on in the canadian prairies John Alexander Blyth   Tue  11/21/2000   3 KB

emusic.com