Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Nov 15, 2000  8:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Teaching rolled Rs

Dr Clark said:

> I use "pot o' tea" and "d-dip, d-dip." Have them say these very fast over
> and over.

It's funny! My English students have problems to say the American voiced T
as in water, but use that rolled R everyday in Portuguese. When I show them
it's quite the same ( in fact, for that voiced T you put the tip of the
tongue behind the upper front teeth, while we put it in the back edge of the
tooth ridge ), they just don't accept that! The same goes for the American
R: in the country side, people have their R's like the American, and
everyone can imitate them. But when it comes to speak English people tend to
roll their R's.

It's not much different from what we do when we sing. We tend to complicate
things we can easily do when we don't force them.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com