Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 15, 2000  3:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] OT Voting: Depends on where you live...

In a message dated 11/14/2000 3:46:42 PM Central Standard Time,
caioross@z... writes:

<< I was amazed because, if I'm not wrong, this year even voters in the Amazon
( !!!!!!! ) used machines to vote for mayors here in Brazil. I think some
areas in Rio de Janeiro had paper ballots, but in São Paulo, where I live,
everyone used voting machines. Each candidate has a number which is tapped
in. Then, their pictures, names and parties are shown and you just confirm
or not! ). Data is not sent on-line to a computer database because parties
want to have access to each voting machine in case they ask for recounting.

There have been no new voting machines manufactured since the early 1980s, I
believe. There are no parts available for the ones currently in existence,
so when they break down, they are toast. The federal government does not
subsidize the voting method - this is left up to the states, and the states
then leave it up to the counties. Depending on the wealth of the county, the
method of voting is either high- or low-tech.

I think this needs to become a consistent method throughout the country. If
it's all done the same way, no one need make fun of people in other areas for
a method with which they are unfamiliar. There is a level of incivility that
is really bothering me - people publicly calling other people "incompetents,"
and worse. To read my response to our local paper about the whole thing, go
to http://www.jsonline.com/news/editorials/nov00/blochowiak14111300.asp. I'm
letter #7, I believe....

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com