Vocalist.org archive

From:  Shannon <Cantante@x...>
Shannon <Cantante@x...>
Date:  Mon Nov 13, 2000  7:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Christmas Eve soprano solo suggestions . . .

Hi Lana (and everyone else),

Lots of great suggestions here, but now I'm going to be the Voice of the
Luddite and say, "Why NOT good ole Melot or 'Oh Holy Night' and the
like?" The thing about the holidays is that they're steeped in
tradition, and while it's great to expand our musical horizons, as well
as those of the people we sing for, we should not totally abandon the
chestnuts. There's a reason why they're chestnuts, and some people will
feel very cheated if they don't hear at least one of 'em. So sing
something that they've not heard before! But also sing something warmly
familiar. In this way are traditions built.

I'll sing "Oh Holy Night" in any church in the greater San Francisco Bay
Area :)

Shannon Smith cantante@x...

"Oh, _theater_. Theater doesn't even approach it.
Opera isn't theater with singing and dancing.
Opera's _opera_." --Terry Pratchett, "Maskerade"

emusic.com