Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sun Nov 12, 2000  4:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Male sopranos; help with origins. please ?

Doris asked:

> Caio, do you know are can you speculate about Ney Mattogrosso? Back in
the
> mid seventies, I particularly enjoyed his video of "As Mulheres de
Athenas,"
> and I always adored him. What is he doing now?

He is something! He has a much more female voice, while mine would be more
like LaBrie's, from the American prog metal band Dream Theater.

Ney Matogrosso was the band leader of a glitter rock/ tropicalia band in the
70's, Secos e Molhados. They used that heavy make-up long before Kiss
according to Matogrosso, Kiss's look may be an imitation of theirs. He says
they had a performance in Mexico and were visited by an American manager who
wanted to lauch them in the American market. They didn't accept, but 6
months later, there was Kiss! )
Ney has a beautiful head/falsetto voice and I think his best work was with
late Rafael Rabello ( then considered one of the 3 best acoustic guitar
players in the world, along with Paco de Lucia and an English guy ). Their
Cd is called "Cor da Pele". I don't know what's better there: Matogrosso's
light voice or Rabello's virtuoso and creative arrangements for old
Brazilian and Spanish-spoken songs. Those who admire castrati-like voices
shouldn't miss Ney Matogrosso or Edson Cordeiro's Cds.
Now he's back to his androgenous performances ( a tropical David Bowie, some
might say ), which people love but I find impoverishing. He knows he's more
than a showman... or showperson?, he's one of our most sensitive singers,
but unfortunately money makes the world and Ney spin around.

> Also, have you heard of that wonderful travesty opera company based in New
> York? (When I remember the name, I'll put it in your e-mail.) Those
fellows
> have beautiful voices! It's all for fun, but... Well, I get a special
kick
> out of it.

Never heard of that! To tell you the truth, I don't like it when
extra-musical features are put forward. I prefer those musicians ( vocalists
included ) who are so concentrated on playing and singing that the audience
could leave the room and they'd still keep on without noticing they were
playing to themselves. I call that a 'jazzy attitude' or musical onanism
as a consequence, call me a 'musical voyeur' ).

emusic.com