Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Sun Nov 12, 2000  4:45 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: At what point do you like the sound of your voice

ingo wrote:

<< I've talked to my teacher about it on several occassions, usually when
my voice sounds incredibly nasal or thin to me. He keeps assuring me
that I have a very pleasing sound, and I'm definitely making progress.
My guess is that the sound that I am hearing in my head is quite
different from what actually comes out of my mouth and that I pick out
what I don't like hearing in my voice when I listen to it from a
recording. >>

ingo,

if you are already taping your lessons, that's good. if not, you should
start. you should also tape your practicing, i think. if you are taping
your lessons, when you hear yourself doing something that sounds odd (like
too nasal) and your teacher says it sounds good, listen to it right away.
you may find out that what he says sounds good still sounds unsatisfactory to
you. aside from a possible diference in taste, he may be listening to what
he likes better than what you were doing before or, he may be hearing
something that indicates you're on the right track as opposed to you hearing
that you don't sound like a milestone in the history of music, yet.

it is important for you to distiguish between 'better', 'good' and
'ideal'. you may never reach 'ideal' (and your idea of 'ideal' may change)
but you can be 'good' and you certainly have already become 'better'.

mike

emusic.com