Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Nov 10, 2000  2:00 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Body Mapping Book

Laura wrote:

> I just bought Barbara Conable's book on Body Mapping, "What Every Musician
> Need to know About the Body". Has anyone else been through this book, with
> or without taking her course? I'm curious to see what others have to say.
>
> Initially (and still) I was put off by the silly and sort of patronizing
> captions (ex. "If you already really truly know where your thigh bones
meet
> your pelvis on the outside of your pelvic bones, HOLD A PRESS
CONFERENCE!").
> But even just reading through and trying to internalize the anatomical
> sketches, I made a few discoveries about some hidden places of tension in
> how I use my body.

The best book about breathing I've ever seen was written by a 'probably'
French guy ( or Belgian ?) called Philippe Campignion. The title in
Portuguese is "Respir-ações" ( something like Respir-actions"). It's richly
illustrated and tries to help you to develop the best way for YOU to
breathe. I searched his name on all search engines and Amazon but found
nothing. The Brazilian publishing house's summary says his work is based
upon Godelieve Denys-Struyf's. I searched that name too and found this
extremely interesting website in English:
http://www.positivehealth.com/permit/Articles/Bodywork/joel27.htm , which
says the pictures on it come from Denys-Struyf's book.

According to what I found in a website in Portuguese ( which I'll freely
translate here ), Campignion is one of the most important European
biomechanicists ( is that a word in English?) nowadays. He analyzes muscles
and bones involved in the breathing process, as well as their interaction
with other muscular groups and body functions. As every anatomic
constitution is unique, so is the breathing process: there's not such thing
as 'correct' breathing, but ideal 'breathing' for each person, without any
crutches. That comprehension implies the recognition of diversity and
accepting the various breathing typologies ( and that one? does it exist in
English?... too tired to look it up now ), permitting each individual to
find out his/her own quality and balance in breathing.

Campignion offers many exercises to help you in that discovery in this book
which is an unpaired reference for physical therapists and sports, dancing,
voice, singing ( I THINK WE'D FIT IN HERE, DON'T YOU? :-) ) and drama
professionals.

Hope you can find that in English or read French. It's really THAT GOOD!

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6337 Re: Body Mapping Book Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  11/10/2000   3 KB

emusic.com