Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Nov 10, 2000  1:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] G&S for a Musical Theatre Mezzo?

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Jenny Bold wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I lurk on this list with great interest. I was wondering if anyone
> had a suggestion for Gilbert and Sullivan material I might be able to
> work on. I am an "ingenue-y" woman in my mid-twenties, and I've been
> told that I may be a mezzo eventually. For musical theatre, I sing
> in a mix that is a little more heady than belty. My upper range is
> not developed very well yet, so I'm looking for songs that aren't too
> rangy. I don't mind being pushed some, but I would like to use some
> of these songs in the near future. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated. Thanks!

What you want are the younger women mezzo G&S songs - not the middle-aged
contralto G&S songs. What you should look at:

THE GONDOLIERS - When a merry maiden marries (sung by Tessa)

IOLANTHE - My lord, a suppliant at your feet I kneel...He loves! (sung by
Iolanthe)

YEOMEN OF THE GUARD - When maiden loves, she sits and signs (sung by
Phoebe Meryll)

RUDDIGORE - Cheerily carols the lark (sung by Mad Margaret)

You could probably also get away with singing Jill-all-Alone's song,
"Where the Deer do Lie" from Edward German's operetta MERRIE ENGLAND.

Karen Mercedes
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
Es en balde, majo mio, que sigas hablando
porque hay cosas que contesto yo
siempre cantando:
Tra la la...
Por mas que preguntes tanto: