Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Nov 8, 2000  7:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] rothko goes kirilian, was The Vowel Line

Dear Mike and Vocalisters:

Mike quoted Don Miller:
>don miller wrote:
>
><< ... far better
> than quoting authorities, scientific or otherwise, is direct empirical
> investigation of one's own. >>

Mike then commented:
> glad to see you made it.

Mike: What do you mean "made it?"

Mide continued his comment.
> given that music is an art and, that the
>science of sound is only part of the picture, i couldn't agree with you more.

COMMENT: Very clearly said.

Mike then quoted Don Miller again:
> you go on to say:
>
><< Awareness of many other important details that often escape our notice in
> the act of singing can be sharpened by the use of such feedback. >>

and Mike then commented:
> here's where i have the problem. on the one hand, i think it might be
>possible that someone could begin to imagine sound they hadn't heard before
>in an effort to reconsile unaccounted for visual info (i still find a
>correlation between visual data and audio data suspect. maybe i just don't
>know enough).

COMMENT: What does the above statement mean?

and Mike then commented further:
> on the other hand, if there could be an enriching of audio
>awareness by using visual data, i'd hate to be left out

COMMENT: Again very clearly stated.

Mike continued his comments
> how would you test this? who would be in the test group? (if dionne
>warwick were in the test group, could she keep her musical judgment undiluted
by her association with the psychic friends network?)

COMMENT: How would you test what? I cannot make sense out of your
questions because I do not understand what you are asking about. And
what has a pops singer and her interests got to do with this
discussion?

Mike again added:
> can you imagine a day when super titles showing spectographic readings
>of the singers performing are provided for those who don't wish to miss
>anything?

COMMENT: What does this mean? Why is it included in this discussion?

> unfortunately, until i have better computer equipment, i'm stuck with
>the old fashioned way.

COMMENT: So are many of us.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA