Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 8, 2000  2:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: randy, lloyd FORE!!!

lloyd quoted me:

<< microphones make it
> possible to sing without technique but, technique makes listening to it
> more bearable.
>
> tony bennett usually steps away from the microphone to sing one song
> for his show (usually 'fly me to the moon'). he can be heard as well as
> any classically trained singer. what can't be heard is all the nuance that
> is present when he uses a microphone.

and then he said:

COMMENT: I rest my case. >>

to which i say:

what did i miss?

there are a lot of singers who are made in the studio- to hell with
them. there are singers who can do but, in order to do what they do, they
need a microphone. of them, i say, it depends on what they do. there are
some things that cannot be done without a microphone by anybody. the
singing that mel torme did required a microphone. jussi bjoerling could not
have sung like mel torme and be heard without a mic. it is the nature of
that sound that makes a microphone neccesary. it is what torme did with
that sound that makes me grateful for a microphone.

tony bennett has no trouble being heard without a microphone. but, he
has to change what he does just as the classically trained singer changes
when going from the parlor to the opera barn. having a mic allows bennett
to do what nobody can do without one. it allows him to make a two foot
putt that counts the same as a 350kilometer drive.

mike

emusic.com