Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Wed Nov 8, 2000  3:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] randy, lloyd, FORE!

my beloved colleague marthea asked:

<< mike wrote: golf is the best voice teacher i ever had.

So, which do you spend the most time at and which is the most challenging?
which the most frustrating?

marthea,

along with everyone else on the list, i'm so glad you asked.

i spend more time singing. it is more challenging and far more
frustrating. why? because i care so much more about it.

when i took up golf, i was so sick of everything i had ever taken up-
photography, painting (from childhood) and singing as they all were so
serious. the pressure of having to succeed did not allow me the 'leeway' (i
have no idea how to spell that) to discover. in short, i could not suck.

when golf came my merry way, i was just glad to have something goofy to
do (similar to commiting mindless acts of vandilism). i didn't care how bad
i played (when i would hit a slice into the woods, my friends and i would try
to guess the type of tree my ball hit from the sound it made. oak is best).
i was able to look at cause and effect. i was able to do weird
experiments. i got good at golf a lot faster than i got good at singing.
when applying the same 'gee, i wonder what the hell will happen if i do this
dumb thing' approach to singing, i got a lot better at singing too.

even after i had gotten good at golf, it is such a stupid thing to do
for four hours, there is no way i could ever take it as seriously as singing.

mike

emusic.com