Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Nov 7, 2000  6:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Pronunciation??

Re: [vocalist-temporary] Pronunciation??
David and Vocalisters:

Solveig, a common Norwegian name in Minnesota, is pronounced:

'su:lvaejs with the /ae/ vowel as in the American "rat".  The /g/ is not pronounced.  "Song" is /sa/ with the ng as in the American pronounciation of "song" (I can't print the IPA symbol for this via e-mail).

I have never seen your spelling of the name with the /j/ in it.

This is not a silly question.  It bothers me every time I hear it pronounced incorrectly.

Hello everyone... I have a silly question.  How do you pronounce "Solveijg's Sang"??  A student from my school is singing it for NATS, and we want to make sure she says the title correctly when she introduces it.  Thanks for your expertise!

David Grogan
ETBU Music
Marshall, Texas