Vocalist.org archive

From:  R.L.Frye@w...
R.L.Frye@w...
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  4:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrato?

Lloyd wrote:

> Comment: Are you talking about classical singing or
about non classical
> singing when you describe adding vibrato to the end of
a phrase?

Decidedly classical! As the original question referred
to a recording by Bejun Mehta, I didn't stop to think
that my reply could refer to other styles, and thus I
didn't specify the style I was talking about. But, of
course, this kind of device is used in various kinds of
popular singing as well, although I would suggest that
it is often used in those styles in a less vocally
healthy manner than when used in classical singing.

Vibrato occurs naturally in a properly produced sung
tone, and I certainly don't advise manipulating it as a
rule. Indeed, a "disturbed" vibrato is nearly always a
good indicator of vocal problems and of adjustments that
need to be made somewhere in the technique. However,
this "curlicue" ending to selected notes can make for a
very particular kind of polished effect, and I hear it
used extensively in good classical singing.

Robin L. Frye
Mezzo-Soprano
Voice and Piano Teacher
New York, New York

> Hello Robin and Vocalisters:
>
> On 05-Nov-00, Robin L. Frye wrote:
> > Ken,
> >
> > I know what you're talking about, and most well-known singers use this
> > effect. A former teacher of mine described it as being like a little pig's
> > tail - it winds around and around a couple of times, tighter and tighter,
> > and then it trails off. She actually used to draw this little curlicue
> > into my music here and there when she wanted that kind of ending to a note
> > - a useful visual reminder.
>
> Comment: Are you talking about classical singing or about non classical
> singing when you describe adding vibrato to the end of a phrase?
>

> Regards
> --
> Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
> Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy
> School of Performing Arts
> Northern Arizona University
> Flagstaff, AZ 86011

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6265 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  11/6/2000   2 KB
6267 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat Tako Oda   Mon  11/6/2000   2 KB
6271 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat R.L.Frye@w...   Mon  11/6/2000   3 KB
6272 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat David Grogan   Mon  11/6/2000   5 KB
6273 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat R.L.Frye@w...   Mon  11/6/2000   3 KB
6275 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  11/6/2000   2 KB
6274 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat David Grogan   Mon  11/6/2000   7 KB
6287 Re: Phrase finish with Vibrarto?/ControlledVibrat R.L.Frye@w...   Tue  11/7/2000   3 KB

emusic.com