Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 6, 2000  1:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: SLS (to Martti)

In a message dated 11/6/00 12:00:17 AM Central Standard Time, RALUCOB@a...
writes:

<< randy,

a high larynx occurs during swallowing so, it is not a high larynx that
creates excessive medial compression nor does it put excessive strain on the
folds. it would be the application of breath pressure in the effort to
create sound that creates these problems.

not all literature agrees that a high larynx position should be
mentioned under misuse. jo estill's research indicates that a high larynx
is required for certain types of singing and maintains that it is safe if
done correctly. >>

It is the high laryngeal position that causes excessive adduction. When the
suprahyoid groups become involved, the folds excessively valve. When one
adds airflow to this condition in order to create voice excessive subglottal
pressure is created in an attempt to overcome the hyperadduction. As far as
Estill goes, she's a nut job in my eyes who attempts to examine faulty
methods which are potentially dangerous (high larynx) and explain them as a
technique.

One book I can refer you to is Understanding Voice Problems, A Physiological
Perspective for Diagnosis and Treatment. The vast majority of the
pedagogical texts I've read, that talk about non-classical singing, take this
stand on laryngeal position, as does the otolaryngologist I work with a lot
on voice disordered patients (Dr. Robert Bastian).

I do know that Lisa Popeil (spelling?) wrote an article in NATS JOS using a
videoflueroscopic exam to investigate her different styles of singing
(classical and pop). She theorized a higher laryngeal position would be
found in pop, as it was, along with a retracted tongue and other telltale
signs of tension. She was rather disappointed in her findings.

Randy Buescher
Speech Level Singing Instructor
Speech Language Pathology Graduate Student (almost done ... finally!)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6254 High Larynx Position Lloyd W. Hanson   Mon  11/6/2000   4 KB

emusic.com