Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
"Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Sun Nov 5, 2000  4:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Phrase finish with Vibarto?

Oberon wrote:
I was wondering if any of you know how to do this vibrato trick?

Hi, Ken,

Thanks for sending this .wav file.  I had never heard Bejun Mehta before!  This does not sound like a vibrato trick; I believe it's a trill.  Well, in the first cut it's a trill.  In the 2nd I hear no trill, just vibrato, and a little on the wide side on the final note at that.  Forgive me if you already know what I'm about to explain:  A trill is a fast alternation of two neighboring notes, used as an ornament to the vocal (or instrumental) line.  Mehta's trill in the 1st cut is rather narrow.  I do not hear two distinct pitches, but from the style, context and what I know most singers would do there, it's definitely a trill.  To learn to trill, one must practice alternating between the 2 notes slowly.  When your voice/ear/mechanism feels clearly where the pitches are, you can allow the mechanism to speed up.  I've never taught this; maybe one of our esteemed pedagogues on the List will chime in to really explain how to do it.

Susan Schneider
emusic.com