Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Thu Nov 2, 2000  4:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Newbie Judge

Mark Montgomery writes: <<When I am judging competitions, I always follow
two personal rules: I
focus in on one major point, explaining my suggestions in as much detail as
possible. I also always say something positive which can require some
imagination. I particularly remember once complementing a young man on his
choice of audition apparel in order to have something positive to say! Did I
mention he was wearing a powder blue tuxedo?>>

LOL, Mark, so true! I will say, though, on a serious note, that it is
important you say SOMETHING about the performance. I once took a student to
a competition, and she received a rating which was Good but not Excellent,
and instead of coming out of it with a comment sheet which gave her
constructive criticism or helpful hints or encouragement, the sheet held only
the score and the comment: "You looked so cute in your skirt and sweater and
knee socks which matched!". The singer never knew how she might have changed
or developed her performance to score better.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy, Soprano
Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School