Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Thu Nov 2, 2000  1:56 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] brain tumor

At 04:52 PM 11/1/00 EST, you wrote:

> A friend of mine was operated on for a brain tumor the size of a
>strawberry. Operation was successful and no cancer. The problem is that a
>nerve in the brain was injured and she has double vision, can't swallow and
>can only speak in a hoarse whisper. The drs. are giving her a few things to
>do to restore her speech. The cords are not adducting. . . .
Also the drs have
>suggested her grunting, as if straining at stool. That is also helping.. . .

It sounds as though the vagus nerve was cut or impaired by the trauma of the surgery. She should be under the care of a speech pathologist for both the vocal problem and swallowing rehabilitation therapy. The exercises that you and the doctors have given her sound like a good start to me. This situation is precisely when speech pathologists are called in. See if she is receiving services. A referral is in order if not.

Best of luck.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2212

emusic.com