Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
leskayc@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 28, 2000  11:33 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Anesthesia

Hello Kate,
I hope you are recovering well-sorry you had to go through such an ordeal.
As a former nurse I can tell you that G.I. bleeding can be a pretty scary
situation and I can sympathize with the docs and your parents-they needed to
move quickly, and you HAD to be intubated for this procedure. Don't worry.
I used to work a post-op surgery floor and just about everyone has a sore
throat and is hoarse for a day or two after surgery. If I were you, I would
rest my voice, drink as much water as I could, and REST period. You have had
a very stressful event and any type physical stress will show up in the
voice. If you are still sore and /or hoarse after a week, you may want to
see an ENT doctor and let him look at your cords. I have heard that the
cords can be damaged by intubation, but I think that is pretty rare. If it
wasn't, then about 3/4 of the population would have ruined voices from all
the various surgeries we have all had..............:-)

Try not to worry too much. This will make it worse-believe me, I am the
queen of worrying.

Hope you are on the road to recovery,
Leslie (the mother of a 17 year old soprano named Kate)

emusic.com