Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Oct 28, 2000  1:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] The "legit" sound

In a message dated 10/28/2000 7:58:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
buzzcen@a... writes:
buzzcen@a... writes:

<< Does it refer in any way to belting?
That's the impression I've been getting.

Thanks for any input on this,
Rocio Guitard

No, it's the complete opposite, something that has more of a classical tinge
to it. >>

That's true, but here's my interpretation. Legit refers to musical theater
repertoire that is sung with classical technique in terms of onset, support,
etc., but with pop technique in terms of articulation. The sound is more
lateral than vertical (and I'm thinking in terms of the soft palate); not as
lateral as I hear belt to be. Generally the songs are more range-y than
songs in the belt repertoire (but not always).0

Examples of legit rep: "People will say we're in love," "Make believe,"
"Some enchanted evening", "All I ask of you." The ingenues in R&Ham musicals
are usually legit. Often referred to as a musical theater soprano - although
a mezzo with a good top can usually sing the roles easily. And since I
believe that most belters are not in fact mezzos, but are sopranos (based on
my own personal experience and stuff I've read), it's a good niche for the
mezzo who wants to sing musical theater and doesn't have a good belt!

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com