Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Sat Oct 28, 2000  2:36 am
Subject:  [vocalist-temporary] Re: Rhymes in older texts, (WAS: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them)

In message <20001028021305.37272.qmail@w...>, Jennifer
<ihateegroups@y...> writes

>> The flowers themselves DISCOVER
>> Birds over her do HOVER
>
>Are you suggesting that discover and hover don't
>currently rhyme? I'm now really curious where you come
>from and how you pronounce them :o). In my accent
>(west coast Canadian), they do indeed rhyme.

Hi Jennifer and List,

They rhyme in my accent as well (Scottish), but I think most English
people would say discover with an 'u' sound, and hover with an 'o'
sound, whereas I say them both with an 'u' sound.

My dictionary gives both pronunciations of hover as correct, but puts
the 'o' pronunciation first, which probably means it thinks that is
slightly more correct!

Regards, Sheila
--
Sheila Graham