Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Fri Oct 27, 2000  11:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: W's (WAS: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them)

John Alexander Blyth wrote:

> I know someone from Leeds, with whom I was speaking only minutes ago. He
> does this - he can't help it. It's not hugely exagerrated as in Wodney wode
> the woyal woad, but it's there. Anecdotal vs. statistical.

Hold on - I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes here: did your
original post have a typo and intend to say that the affectation was to
substitute the R consonant with a w, not the V, which is what it
actually said? That would be very common indeed, but it's a speech
impediment and a habit of children - and a source of ribald humour in
one scene in Python's "Life of Brian" (one which I had better not
elaborate on here) ;^)

cheers,

Linda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6119 Re: W's (WAS: Diction: German r's and how to trea John Alexander Blyth   Mon  10/30/2000   3 KB

emusic.com