Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Martti Savijoki" <marty@m...>
"Martti Savijoki" <marty@m...>
Date:  Fri Oct 27, 2000  9:03 pm
Subject:  Re: About studying voice

mike wrote:
> sorry martti,
>
> the title of roger love's book is 'set your voice free' (must
be the
> lead in our water).

It's nothing. You don't have to be sorry, I knew that fact already.
Btw, I found Seth Riggs' "Singing for the stars" in library today.
I'm trying out if it could help me a bit.

> steve perry, sting, paul mccartney all use head voice in
their high
> ranges. the late jeff buckley switched back and forth between
head and
> falsetto.

Yes, I can hear the difference. I don't like Buckley's voice, but
Perry and Sting sound quite good. But my favorites are James LaBrie
from Dream Theater and Michael Sweet from Stryper. I think they are
both using their head voice, not falsetto (maybe Sweet's screams are
in falsetto, though).

> classical instruction is not the best way to increase
range. most
> classical teachers will tell you that most rock singers are tenors
and that
> if you wish to sing that high you must be a tenor. it has been my
> experience that this is not true.

I.e. you're not a tenor, but you can still sing high. When discussing
opera, if one can sing tenor arias as well as baritone ones, which
one is his vocal fach? Is it about sound quality or is it about
range, or maybe both? Can some tenors reach for example the low G of
baritones?

Moro,
Martti

emusic.com