Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Fri Oct 27, 2000  12:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: About studying voice

sorry martti,

the title of roger love's book is 'set your voice free' (must be the
lead in our water).

<< How? As far as I've been heard the voice that rock singers use is not
falsetto but head voice and they should be different things. And I
think the sounds in question are produced in different ways. And
isn't it the same with classical singers, of course with exception of
counter tenors? >>

it depends on who you are talking about. robert plant used what is
sometimes refered to as reinforced falsetto. the big difference between
falsetto and head voice is contact of the vocal folds. head voice sounds
like falsetto with a 'ping, buzz, squeek, other' and feels more resistant
than falsetto.

steve perry, sting, paul mccartney all use head voice in their high
ranges. the late jeff buckley switched back and forth between head and
falsetto.

classical instruction is not the best way to increase range. most
classical teachers will tell you that most rock singers are tenors and that
if you wish to sing that high you must be a tenor. it has been my
experience that this is not true.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
6060 Re: About studying voice Martti Savijoki   Fri  10/27/2000   3 KB

emusic.com