Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Martti Savijoki" <marty@m...>
"Martti Savijoki" <marty@m...>
Date:  Fri Oct 27, 2000  9:10 am
Subject:  Re: About studying voice

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, RALUCOB@a... wrote:
> martti and geoffrey,
>
> dave stroud's description of what has to happen in the larynx
while
> singing from top to bottom is excellent. the cd of exercises that
comes
> with roger love's book 'your voice at its best' is really
terrific. (i have
> heard that these exercises are similar to ones he learned from seth
riggs.)

I tried to order this book from Amazon.com once, but didn't get
anything. I can't but look after it in the Finnish book stores.

> having been trained by classical voice teachers, i had a
somewhat
> limited range.

Won't they teach you how to build range? Is classical education
always like that?

after working with roger love's cd (as well as customizing it
> for my own purposes- no magic there so, don't worry), i have been
able to
> increase my range quite a bit and have found singing, in general,
to be a lot
> easier.

Thanks for the tip. I know a good Finnish book store on the web, I
will order it someday. Don't have the money yet.

> the process does require patience and time and also trusting
that the
> thing you may call 'falsetto' will turn into something useful
eventually.

How? As far as I've been heard the voice that rock singers use is not
falsetto but head voice and they should be different things. And I
think the sounds in question are produced in different ways. And
isn't it the same with classical singers, of course with exception of
counter tenors?

Ciao,
Marty Claus

emusic.com