Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Oct 27, 2000  1:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] cabaret

> What ARE you talking about, Caio?? I don't see anything that 'looks gay' -
> see a bunch of young people, as you might see on a high school or college
> picnic. I see a woman in black leather. I see black and white and gray
> text/graphics. What is 'gay' about any of that?
>
> Where DO you get your ideas from?

Mmmm... I don't know where you're from. I'm from São Paulo, a city where gay
people in Brazil concentrate, since it's one the biggest cities in the
world. We have a wild gay nightlife, which many people like to frequent,
regardless of being gay or not. An American HIV-positive gay friend of mine,
who lives in NYC but often travels to São Paulo, says being gay here is more
well-accepted than there. I'm also an English teacher ( therefore,
presumably gay by most people here ) and have many, many, many gay friends.
I probably know more what a 'gay look' is than anyone in a
two-million-people city anywhere in the world! And those guys do look gay
regardless of being gays or not. I'm talking about looks, and so are his
friends ).

> >The point here is: how do you feel about possibly looking gay?! If that
> will
> >destroy your whole self-esteem, look for therapy before even rehearsing
or
> >just give up ( or give up being heterosexual and look for therapy to
become
> >gay! ) :-)
>
> Sorry, you are again jumping off the deep end... Just singing in a cabaret
> doesn't make you look any more gay than singing in any other concert.

and you're jumping off the deep end of language: I asked: HOW DO YOU FEEL
ABOUT POSSIBLY POSSIBLY POSSIBLY POSSIBLY ( I hope that echo can help you
register the presence of the word ) LOOKING GAY? Concerning looking gay
'just singing in a cabaret', ask his straight friends! they had that doubt,
not me. AARRRGGGGHHHH.

> >BTW, If YOU like cabaret, it's either not completely gay or you're not
> >completely straight! In either situation, I think you should do what you
> >feel comfortable doing.
>
> HUH???? Liking or not liking cabaret has nothing to do with sexual
> preference!

Oh, my, oh, my: READ. That's the magical word! I won't waste my time
clarifying that. Anyone who can read and relate ideas in a text understood
what I meant!

One thing is being PC. Something completely different is assuming that
heterosexuals ( that is, his friends ) will see things through those
fabricated naive eyes. I was talking about ACTUAL social perception, not
about how people should perceive reality. And the very existence of his
first question is the evidence of that. BTW, I'm sure he understood
everything I wrote.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com