Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 26, 2000  4:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Opera Singing

In a message dated 10/25/2000 10:43:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

<< I hear effects with straight-tone vibrato-control which just make the
voice sound not-pretty, when the music >>

YES! Nowhere is it more apparent than in her rendition of "Gretchen am
Spinnrad", in which she sounds like she's channelling Barbra Streisand. Now,
I love early Streisand, and I love Upshaw when she's at her best. BUT that
sound is not appropriate for Schubert. I've mentioned this before, and
whether the music was intended for pros or amateurs, for salon or stage, it
still sounds just plain HORRIFYING when sung in this method in the
present-day.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com