Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Thu Oct 26, 2000  1:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Unpopularity of Vocal Music on Radio

I don't know where you live but my experience in Chicago is that the
classical stations were not playing recordings of the current crop of
singers up until a few years ago. Even I, who was already studying voice
& attending the opera, frequently found myself turning off the radio, or
changing the station, when some of these old recordings came on. It came
across to me as "vibrato run amuck" (no control)...especially in some of
the sopranos. I think that this is the sound that many people think of &
it turns them off.

I can tell you some of the singers of the past that did NOT elicit this
response from me: Rosa Ponselle, Victoria DeLosAngelos (sp?), Jussi
Bjoling (sp?), Robert Merrill, Renata Tebaldi, Zinka Malinov.

How much of this can be attributed to recording methods & how much can be
attributed to changes in methods of teaching singing? If you watch
Disney's "Snow White", the woman singing Snow White has this wobbly sound
BUT the voice of the Prince is lovely with a controlled vibrato. Anyone
have any insight about this?

Pat

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:01:04 EDT LMorgan923@a... writes:
> In a message dated 10/21/2000 10:37:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>
> What astounds me about this is that live opera is, and has been
> for the
> last five years or so, experiencing a tremendous boom in popularity
> all over
> the country. Audiences are up and so is financial support. And yet
> people
> don't want to hear vocal music on the radio? I have trouble
> reconciling
> those two things.

6008 Re: Unpopularity of Vocal Music on Radio Karen Mercedes   Thu  10/26/2000   4 KB
6041 Re: Unpopularity of Vocal Music on Radio Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  10/27/2000   5 KB
6012 Re: Unpopularity of Vocal Music on Radio Ernie Valenzuela   Thu  10/26/2000   3 KB
6078 Re: Unpopularity of Vocal Music on Radio Patricia M Smith   Sat  10/28/2000   4 KB

emusic.com