Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Oct 25, 2000  9:31 pm
Subject:  Practicing at the piano,was: Call for Comments

Whatever you practice most is how you will tend to do it. By practising
singing sitting, you are developing into a really good sitting singer. This
may or may not affect your development as a standing or moving singer, but
you should practice what you're going to be doing.
Sitting at an upright piano has the additional disadvantage of reflecting
sound back to you in a way which differs from performance reality as well.
Performances have enough surpirises anyway: we should prepare for what we
can. john

>... at the piano, seated, while singing/rehearsing, one might develop the
breathing muscles differently than when standing.
... and loss of control of the tone that wasn't present while seated at the
piano. This difference was certainly negative in nature.
>Could one develop some unwanted problems while employing this possibly
self-injurious behavior at the piano? Is it an unavoidable occupational
hazard?
...>Christopher Caleffi

..
John Blyth