Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Wed Oct 25, 2000  6:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Sitting & Singing

In a message dated 10/25/2000 1:41:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
singersuki@a... writes:
singersuki@a... writes:

<< Chris said: <<Some opera singing colleagues and I were discussing the art
of
rehearsing and playing/accompanying for oneself. The idea was presented,
that, if one spends a great deal of time at the piano, seated, while
singing/rehearsing, one might develop the breathing muscles differently than
when standing>> >>

I had a rather interesting experience with singing while sitting. A few
years ago, I severely broke my ankle and could not stand for any length of
time for about 6 weeks. I only missed a week of my choir job, so ended up
singing sitting for almost a month and a half. Oddly enough, I found that my
breathing improved while sitting, which led me to believe that my posture
while standing was not what it should be. Once I could stand again, I began
experimenting with my posture to try and regain the alignment I had
discovered while sitting, and, as a result, my breathing is much better than
it was before. As an added note, I did make a very strong attempt to sit
nice and upright on the edge of the chair or pew. I think the fact that I
was paying more attention to my posture (because I knew it had to be good if
I was going to sing at all well) than I had in quite a while probably helped
me out in the long run.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com