Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Wed Oct 25, 2000  1:33 pm
Subject:  Re: Diction: German r's and how to treat/teach them

I suppose I still count as German, especially since it is my first
language. Unfortunately my knowledge of diction and the language
surrounding diction is quite poor. I'll try to briefly describe how I
pronounce 'r's' and am quite happy to answer any questions privately or
over Vocalist.

1) I only have a very slight flip/trill the 'r', although it is
stronger when the 'r' is at the beginning of the syllable. To be fair,
I have a tremendously difficult time trilling my 'r's' when I speak
Spanish.
2) In my experience, the 'r' is more strongly flipped/trilled when sung
than when spoken.
3) Unfortunately there are significant regional differences. There's a
German TV presenter for Bavaria, Caroline Reiber, who has a tremendous
trill in her 'r'.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I'm having German relatives in town this
weekend and will check with them (and also just listen actively at
their 'r's'). I'll post if I find out anything new, or to the contrary
of my initial post.

Cheers,
Ingo