Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Tue Oct 24, 2000  8:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Inside--outside confusion

In a message dated 10/23/00 5:18:51 PM, lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< A good analogy is
the way we tune a radio. The dial is only the tuning device, it is
not the source of the sound but rather a device to more accurately
adjust the sound producing mechanisms of the instrument. So it is for the
voice. >>

Indeed. Many teachers of singing, whose own singing produces sympathetic
vibration in specific areas, often add to their own frustration and that of
their students by insisting that vibration be felt in those areas. A former
teacher of mine, many years ago, kept suggesting the crescendo I was singing
should be felt "vibrating across the bridge of the nose". I tried. I
"focused" all the energy there. I couldn't figure out why it didn't work,
and worse, neither could she. It was only after study with those who had a
clear picture of the voice's function, as well as a clearer understanding of
the individuality of singers' sensations to singing, that I was able to
realize my own "personal" physical body reactions to singing correctly. Even
if that former teacher had prefaced her remarks to me by saying , "Now I feel
it resonating this way, but you may not...", I believe it would have been
more helpful. That negative, frustrating time helped me become a better,
more insightful and helpful, teacher in my own right.

Thank you for your own insightful post, Lloyd.

Sincerely,

Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com