Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Oct 24, 2000  3:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Entrenched Thinking or Pops VS Ops

Mike wrote:

>what about abortion? what about
> killing an animal? what about killing a plant? genesis instructs us
that
> fruit and seeds shall be our food as the eating of such is the gift of the
> plant to us for helping it survive. what about spending lavish amounts
of
> money on opera productions while people starve elsewhere, is that wrong?

That's the point: when you discuss what's right or wrong, you're doing that
upon a cultural background! You're trying to define what's Imoral, not being
Amoral. The consequence of cultural relativism is amorality. What's the
problem about that?

1st: If everything is relative at all times, so is relativism. As relativism
is self-contradictory, it can't serve as basis for anything, not even
itself. It's pre-logical.

2nd: Cultural relativism applied within a certain culture would lead us to
extinguishing the legal system and take us back to Stone Age. It's not only
illogical. It has terrible consequences!

> i would concede your point that opera singing requires academic
training
> to do the 'right' way. i would argue against its need for academic
training
> justifying its value. i knew someone who earned a doctarate in ancient
> languages. he expected doors to open upon receiving his degree.

Cultural value is not commercial value. BTW, here comes another problem: if
wide recognition determines value ( as something RIGHT ), how can people
ever change their minds??? Ancient languages are culturally valuable. If
they open doors or not, that's something completely different.

I just don't believe you dispute the intrinsic value of knowing over not
knowing. How can something that exists be less than something that doesn't?

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com