Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Tue Oct 24, 2000  4:20 am
Subject:  Allergies...yechhh!!

Dear Vocalisters,

Several days ago Dre posted a query to the list about the struggles he was
having with allergies, sprays, etc., to which I responded privately. He
suggested that I might want to post this to the list as well. Sorry, if
it's no longer relevant or timely.

GWendel

>Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 19:29:05
>To: dredeman@y...
>From: gwyee@r...
>Subject: Allergies...yechhh!!
>
>At 12:27 PM 10/19/00 +0200, you wrote:
>
>Hi Dre!
>
>I'm answering you privately because, being a relative newcomer to the list
(only 5 months now), I'm uncertain as to group etiquette and whether this
information would have broad appeal. If you wish to share my response with
the list and feel it appropriate, please feel free. What I have to say is
based on both my academic training and personal experience with these
medications from a lifelong experience with "seasonal allergic rhinitis"
(hayfever) and "seasonal allergic bronchitis and asthma". I hope you don't
mind if I take your questions below one at a time.

>>You wrote: 'Claritin-D probably helped you more was because of the
>>decongestant action of its co-ingredient, pseudo-ephedrine (Sudafed). As
>>systemic medications go, pseudo-ephedrine is probably the most tolerable for
>>singers but carries the potential side-effect of palpitations-tachycardia.'
>>
>>As a user of Claritine (Schering-Plough, I think this how Claritine D is
called in the Netherlands, at least it is one of those anti-histaminica that
claim not to have the effect of somnolence and is also sold as Loratadine;
I use it im wunderschönen Monat Mai and in June) I am quite interested in
the side effects. Furthermore I can remember that some MD's have tried to
ask me whether my allergic reactions affected my lungs as well. This
question I never could answer, because it happens very seldom, but it
happens. In that case I should change medication, but no MD ever could tell
me whether I should or should not, probably I was not able to give them a
clear answer to their queston.

>"Loratidine" is the "generic" name of Claritin. All anti-histamines have
the potential to cause somnolence; some more than others. Claritin, for
example, is a congener (derivative) of hydroxyzine (Vistaril or Atarax)
which is used as a sedative, anti-histamine and adjunct analgesic. I see no
problem with using anti-histamines in patients with asthma. However,
pseudo-ephedrine may *theoretically* may potentiate bronchospasm, but it
never did this in me personally. Yet I still avoid this agent in asthmatic
patients.

>>So: what is 'palpitations-tachycardia' exactly, who can I see it occurs,
and how big is the possibility it will occur (all assuming occuring is the
right verb in this case).

>Sorry for the neologism I created by hyphenating two words together, a bad
habit of mine. "Palpitations" refers to the sensing of one's own heart
beat. Most people don't normally feel their heart beating. In certain
circumstances such as when the heart is beating more rapidly or forcefully
than normal (as after doing vigorous exercises), the heart beat is sensed
and, depending on the individual, can be disconcerting. "Tachycardia" just
means rapid heart beat.

>>Second question: the nasal sprays in my case always drip into my mouth,
which gives me the feeling it is as bad for my voice as drinking a strong
liquor. I admit, it is just a feeling. The packages always say, you should
not allow this to happen, but since I cannot avoid it, what are the actual
risks of sprays in such a case compared to other medicines?

>I have a few suggestions: Try not to inhale when you use the nasal sprays.
Try to use only one spray per each nostril. Try to use a "pump" type
sprayer, rather than the squeeze bottle type. If it bothers your mouth,
it's okay to rinse your mouth after using the spray. However, except for
decongestant type sprays like oxymetolazone, there should be no effect on
your vocal cords. You should be aware, though, that the corticosteroid
type sprays can cause some drying of nasal secretions. So you should be
sure to drink lots of water (until your urine runs clear) to keep yourself
well hydrated.

>>Finally: I can vaguely remember some people opposing hevaily against
cortisones. Do the cortisone-type sprays contain cortisones? If yes, what
are the dangers of cortisones, if any?

>Systemic corticosteroids, though they can be life-savers when used in
treatment of status asthmaticus, can have serious and long-term side
effects after chronic, continuous use. Topical corticosteroid use, and I
include nasal sprays here, don't carry these risks as they are not
significantly absorbed. Still, I personally, try not to use even these
sprays unless I am actually having problems with allergies. Having said all
that, I also think there is potential risk of corticosteroid nasal sprays in
patients with diabetes who are at increased risk of fungal sinusitis in
general. If you are not diabetic, don't sweat it!

>GWendel

emusic.com